Project Space 176
Project Space 176
Project Space 176
Project Space 176
Project Space 176

Project Space 176

client
Zabludowicz Art Trust

architect
Allford Hall Monaghan Morris

date
2006

role
Project Management, Contract Administration and Building Surveying


Built as the Central Methodist Chapel in 1867 and later used as the North London Drama Centre, 176 is listed and was on the Dangerous Structures register when bought by a private art collector.

Andrew was the building surveyor providing building pathology and project management, while employed by Jackson Coles, for the refurbishment and transformation of the building into a new experimental exhibition space in London’s Chalk Farm.

Working closely with the Listed Building Officer and Allford Hall Monaghan Morris (AHMM), the building was stabilised, made watertight and original features restored, including the stained glass windows, lathe and plasterwork of the chapel ceiling.

A curatorial attitude to using the ‘building as a backdrop’ led to a light-touch approach to the refurbishment ensuring that the fabric of the building, which has evolved over time, is retained, revealed and, where appropriate, built upon.

The gallery houses an experimental programme of exhibitions by artists and curators working with the Zabludowicz Collection, which is a private collection comprising works by some of the world’s most innovative and exciting emerging artists.